Friday, February 29, 2008

EXCITING NEWS / RIVETING FOOTAGE

HAPPY LEAP YEAR!
This is one cool day to get to see every four years! My grandma died on this day four years ago, and I want to dedicate today's entry to her. I love you and miss you very much, Arvena! I wish I wasn't at my work computer, otherwise I could post some pictures of her, but alas, I am a work loser. On another note, I just spent like three minutes thinking about how cool the name Arvena is. Why has nobody talked about that before? I mean that is a cool name. It's like a super hero name or something. Wow.


So.
This is the first image that comes up when you google image search leap year:


I support that.









NOW ONTO MORE EXCITING NEWS!

THIS COULD BE ME!











OR THIS COULD BE ME!

Last night my friend Sean Kasey and I applied for the Tesol online Certification course! It comes with a great discount cause we ordered together and what we end up with is the online course with tutor support and a free certificate course in teaching small children or business adults. I haven't yet decided whether or not i want to kids or the businessmen, but I tend towards the kids even though there might be more work in the business department. But what's great is that it is just another certificate and is not necessary to getting a job with children or businessmen, but it could help!
So, I am very excited. The online course is so much more inexpensive and I am lookig forward to having a friend go through it with me. At first I was like, "Is this legit? It seems to good to be true!" But it is. I have talked to 3 real people on the phone already, 2 of which were incredibly helpful and nice, and definitely convinced me that this is the real deal.
Sean and I are very much looking forward to this great opportunity for work.
I was just noticing online the other day a few different jobs in Greece. I could work 25 hour weeks for 2000 Euros a month and 4 weeks paid vacation with health insurance and pension plans or something (there were two jobs one was for 800-100 euros and one was for 2000). It sounded insane! I don't really know where this will lead, but I do know that even being able to work in the US is a great thing for me. The pay can be really good, and I can work part time and still support myself and have the ability to travel the globe, and help people who want to learn!
I am really excited also about the idea of working with children. maybe not just young young kids, but even teenagers. The prospects of what this opportunity holds are vast, and I look forward to having this skill under my belt!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I seem to remember Marcus doing this in the past, Marcus maybe you and I could talk a little about this so i feel more secure in my preparation.

6 comments:

sarah said...

hello dear, i'm so glad we got to hang out this past weekend, even though i missed all of your breakfasts and your winning cast of visitors. i'm quite sorry over that. anyway i always feel like we find our groove together instantly, and what a great and comforting thing to have out there in the world.
here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PHBFDlnFl0
(these girls at the brooklyn museum of art were the best part of the weekend. i love how they allow each other solos and the face the one with the short brown hair makes at the end)
anyway, just wanted to say happy tuesday, love to you, and good luck with your language skills!

nicole said...

sarah, did you make that video? i love it. tried to comment but no workey online.
love you

sarah said...

i did make it! though really i just got lucky with it. glad you liked it though - i think you have to be a youtube member to comment, lame.
<3

Justin said...

I vote for Greece. I'd talked to you about the desert after Nepal, but land-locked isn't the way to go.
I'm fascinated again by the idea of the ocean. Or the sea. As in Mediterranean.

You're incredible. Good luck with the classes and getting certified. It sounds like the realness.

Red Fish said...

Dude, I just saw that my name is at the end of this post. I read it before, because I remember thinking, "Oh yeah; I almost did that," but the name thing must have passed through the haze of my mind.

I almost did the JET program, and I want to teach abroad (in Italy, I hope!) soon enough. I don't have any experience, but I can tell you all the prep I did to do the deed.

And I can, of course, talk to you about teaching. In general.

Hint #1: Get drunk at 7 AM.

Hint #2: It's always 7 AM in teaching.

No, but for reals. We can talk.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I just read an article in the AAA magazine regarding teaching in Greece. They need teachers to teach English to the Greek children. You do not have to speak Greek to do this (I don't know how that works!). It was a six week course and was given in Crete. Wow, what an opportunity to see Greece - we still have relatives over there if you have the opportunity and are interested.

Aunt F