Monday, June 2, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!

Congrats to my mother for turning another year young. Today, I have scanned some of my favorite photos of this incredible lady and I hope you will all join me in celebrating her life. I love you mom!



This was a teeny tiny mom, having some kind of dreamland birthday party, some forty years ago. I mean twenty. (cough cough). Twenty years ago. Oh, who am I kidding? If there's one woman who is honest as hell about who they are (including their age) it's my mom.

I've no idea where this was taken or what's happening, but I am intrigued by the face that is covered.

These are come classics. Here's mom posing with her cousin Evelyn. They are two peas in a pod:


This is when mom started getting a little rebellious and hanging out with bad seeds like Robyn here:


It wasn't easy to catch her during this time, as she was always on the move.


There was that time she ran away from home and spent a while in the forest living off berries and small game. This is where she learned her great cooking instincts.



Eventually though, we all pass through this young phase, and grow up to be calm, responsible adults. Mom learned to poopoo her old ways.


Pretty soon, Mom was a regular family woman. Sure it took a little getting used to. Like for instance, no one expects you to automatically know that small children shouldn't be dressed in insane Joan Crawford getups and handled by strange old women:


But we all learn from our mistakes. Alexis grew to be a mildly healthy child and just a short four years after she was born mom was ready with another surprise... ME!


I was an immediate success and mom was very well versed in child care by this point. Although that sink does look a bit small.


Anyway the point is we were all quite happy together and mostly everyone was just thrilled to have me around.


Even when I felt a bit testy.


Or a bit sleepy.


What an excellent mother. Her special touch kept me scratch free most of my life. I've still never broken a bone on my body, to this day. And we've had some dangerous adventures. Like, what mother could handle 4 kids at Busch Gardens? A Super-Mom. That's who.


Now as an adult, I can appreciate everything my beautiful mother has done for me. Still loving and respecting me after seeing me in my absolute worst moments ( and I mean WORST). Well, who could ask for a better role model. She even likes my boyfriends!


So thanks Mom, for everything. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and spend some relaxing time with a martini or two. You deserve it. After all, you made two of the most beautiful girls on earth. Who else can say that?
We love you, Mom. Happy birthday.

9 comments:

skbproductions said...

That's quite a pictorial essay. The hidden face, in case you were serious, was Aunt Chrise. That was Peter nakos in the background, at our house in oceanside, probably thanksgiving.

Thanks,

Mom

Charlotte said...

Aw, Happy Birthday, Stephanie!
This is really sweet, Nicole. And I'm glad your Mom likes all your boyfriends. You have three, right?

Jessica + Chuck said...

YES! Happy Birthday Stefanie!!! I wish i could sip on those martini's with you. I loved the pictures Nicole. I LOVED THEM!!!

Jessica + Chuck said...

also i instantly knew that had to be Chrise.

Jessica + Chuck said...

PS what are you doing with all your mothers old photos? are you the family archivist?

nicole said...

i figured it was aunt chrise but i wanted to be a little more mysterious. HA! but i guess you could say mom is really the family archivist, and i'm just the stealer of the archives. and yes charlotte, I'd say i'm at three now , but i've got my eye on someone.

Reagan said...

I had the same thought as Charlotte about all your boyfriends. And happy birthday to Nicole's mom!

Charlotte said...

Oh, I was afraid I'd spelled Stefanie wrong! I bet that's annoying. Pardon me.

Alexis said...

Not only does your bathing sink look a little small, but there is also a hair dryer precariously dangling next to it. Just thought you would like to know. I'm so glad you didn't die that day!